Frequently Asked Questions
- Conference Details
- Registration Details
- Accommodations, Location, & Venues
- General Facilitator Information
- General Exhibitor Information
When and where is the Conference happening this year? Gathering Our Voices will be in Kelowna, BC from Mar 21, 2017 until Mar 24, 2017 at the Delta Grand Okanagan Resort and Conference Centre and other venues around the city.
How can I register? To register for Gathering Our Voices please visit: gatheringourvoices.bcaafc.com and click the large blue button that says Register Now or apply to facilitate, volunteer or exhibit!
To simplify the registration process, please ensure you have for each delegate:
- First and last name
- Medical care card number
- Emergency contact information
- Any allergies or medical concerns
If you want to save a place for an unnamed youth please put in Member 1, Member 2, etc. Placeholders can be used until you know which members you are bringing; our registration coordinator will call to ensure you will be using these spaces at a later date.
How old do you have to be to attend the conference? All youth aged 14-24 are eligible to attend the conference. Youth MUST be fourteen (14) by March 21, 2017 in order to attend. All youth fourteen to seventeen (14-17) years old MUST be accompanied by a chaperone at all times.
How old do you have to be to Chaperone at the conference? Chaperones MUST be at least twenty-one (21) by March 21, 2017 to be a chaperone at the conference.
What is the Chaperone to youth ratio? For every five (5) youth (14-17 years) there MUST be at least one (1) chaperone.
Is there a maximum capacity for the Conference? Yes, this year’s conference is on a first come, first serve basis due to limited spaceay available. Conference capacity will be capped at 1000 delegates. Please register as soon as possible to ensure your space at the conference. If the conference reaches capacity before the event there will be no onsite registration.
Are there any activities for the chaperones? Yes, chaperones are invited and encouraged to attend all conference plenary sessions. Limited workshops available to chaperones.
Dance Party Rules
- Doors Open at 7:00 pm and will close promptly at 8:30 pm. There is no re-entry.
- All attendees will be searched prior to entry to the dance and required to check all bags, purses, and over jackets. No exceptions. Sweaters and hats are permitted, but not recommended; the ballroom gets warm.
- Chaperones are required to attend with their youth under 18 years of age, in the standard 5:1 ratio. Youth under 18 without chaperones will not be admitted.
- Chaperones must remain with their youth until the end of the dance or until the group decides to leave together.
- We do not allow contact lenses that alter or cover the eyes.
- We do not allow outside food or drinks. Water will be provided.
- What are the registration deadlines?
- Early Registration Deadline: November 30, 2016
- Regular Registration Deadline: January 31, 2017
- How much are registration fees and when are they due?
- Early registration fees: $150/participant (youth, young adults AND chaperones). Due by 02/28/2017.
- Regular registration fees: $200/participant (including youth, young adults AND chaperones). Due by 02/28/2017.
- Who has to register for the conference? All youth and chaperones must register and pay the registration fees for the conference - No Exceptions.
- What do Registration fees cover?
- Plenary sessions, opening ceremonies, talent showcase, dance, cultural morning, closing ceremonies, t-shirt and delegate bag.
- Tuesday March 21: Dinner
- Wednesday March 22: Breakfast & Lunch
- Thursday March 23: Breakfast & Lunch
- What does the Registration fees not cover?
- Meals not listed above
- What is the Group Registration Incentive? For every group of five (5) people registered, the sixth (6) person is FREE.
- Have more questions? Call our Registration Coordinator Hannah Mashon at 250-388-5522 or 1-800-990-2432 ext.222
Accommodations, Location, & Venues
- Where can my group stay in Kelowna? This year the conference is being held in Kelowna. The main conference venue is the Delta Grand Hotel Okanagan Resort and Conference Centre. Youth delegates and chaperones are responsible for securing their own accommodations. A list of accommodations in Kelowna is included in the Conference Registration Package and on the website. Please reserve your rooms as soon as possible as accommodation options will fill quickly.
- How can I get to Kelowna?
Check out this quick list of various transportation options to help you plan your
trip to Gathering Our Voices:
- Kelowna Airport – YLW 5533 Airport Way, Kelowna, BC V1V 1S1 Phone: 250-953-7500 The airport is situated approximately 15KM (9.3 miles) East from the Delta Grand Hotel Okanagan Resort and Conference Centre.
- Air Canada Reservations & Tickets: 1-888-247-2262 Baggage Enquiries: 1-888-689-2247 Automated Flight Information: 1-888-422-7533 Cargo: 250-656-0231
- Customer Care
- Pacific Coastal - 1-800-663-2872
- Air North - 1-867-661-0407 ext.1.
- WestJet - 1-888-937-8538 (1-888-WESTJET)
- Central Mountain Air - Prince George Daily - 1-888-865-8585
- New Leaf - 204-888-2665
- Once in Kelowna:
- YLW Airporter Shuttle - 1-800-375-9848
- Let’s Go Airport Shuttle - 1-844-877-0101 or 778-821-0101
- Avis Rental Cars - 1-800-879-2847
- Budget Rent A Car - 1-800-668-9833
- National Rentals - 1-800-227-7368
- Hertz - 1-800-263-0600
- Enterprise - 250-491-9611
- Kelowna Cabs - 1-250-762-2222
- Apple Cabs - 250-451-9560
- Checkmate Cabs - 250 861-1111
- Lake Country Taxi - 250 766-4440
- Star Taxi - 250 807-1111
- Kelowna/Lake Country Airport Shuttle - 250-762-2222 or 1-800-375-9848
- Tourism Kelowna -250-861-1515
- Parking Information Parking will be available onsite at the Delta Grand Okanagan Resort and conference Centre - $20/Daily or $1.25/hr Height restrictions to standard vehicle, as it is a parking garage. Kelowna Parking/Parkades
General Facilitator Information
- Workshop Facilitator Applications close November 4, 2016
- Workshops will be 1.5 or 3 hours in length and may be repeated.
- Workshops targeting youth and young adults are preferred, though each year a few chaperone workshops are selected.
- Preference is given to workshops that demonstrate a high-level of interaction and share best practices/successful approaches.
- Increased preference is given towards workshops that require little to no audio/visual aids (i.e. projectors, microphones, TV/DVD Players etc).
- Once you have completed the online application potential facilitators must call Kerri Low 250-388-5522 ext.242 before the deadline of November 4, 2016 to verify their application before it is considered by the youth steering committee.
- All Facilitators are required to provide proof of application or provide a current copy of Criminal Record Check with vulnerable sector check by November 4, 2016.
- Link to Online CRC Access Code: 2LMZZ4EHQ6
- Facilitators will be informed if they are chosen to host a workshop via email by November 30, 2016.
- Once selected facilitators will be contacted to determine a schedule and be provided with an agreement.
General Exhibitor Information
- Exhibitor Applications close 11/30/2016.
- Exhibitor Registration Fee: $500 per table, March 22 and March 23 from 8:30 am – 5:00 pm. Payment due upon approval.
- To Register please visit the home page and click the large blue button that says Register Now or Apply to Facilitate, Volunteer or Exhibit!
- Preferred method of payment is by cheque payable to BCAAFC and mailed to: Attn: Gathering Our Voices 551 Chatham Street, Victoria, BC V8T 1E1.
- Each booth will be provided with one 6’ skirted table and two chairs.
- All Exhibitors are required to provide proof of application or provide a current copy of Criminal Record Check with vulnerable sector check by November 30, 2016.
- Link to Online CRC Access Code: 2LMZZ4EHQ6
- All Exhibitors are responsible for their own meals, refreshments and shipping their own materials.
- You will receive a confirmation email that you submitted an application. Be sure you receive that in your inbox or spam. If you did not please call Hannah at 250-388-5522 ext. 222 to confirm we received your application.
- Exhibitors will be informed if they are chosen via email by December 9, 2016.
- Once selected exhibitors will be provided with an agreement outline shipping instruction, loading and unloading guidelines onsite etc.
Early Registration Deadline $150 - Wednesday, November 30, 2016
Regular Registration Deadline $200 - Tuesday, January 31, 2017
Registration Fees Due - Tuesday, February 28, 2017
Full Refunds Honoured Until - Tuesday, February 28, 2017
Facilitator Application Deadline - Friday, November 4, 2016
Application Assessment to Youth Selection Committee - Thursday, November 10, 2016
Youth Selection Committee Meeting - Friday, November 18, 2016
Facilitator Notifications - Wednesday, November 30, 2016
DJ Application Deadline - Monday, October 31, 2016
Career and Education Fair Application Deadline - Wednesday, November 30, 2016
- Exhibitor Notifications - Friday, December 9, 2016
Emcee Application Deadline - Friday, January 20, 2017
Keynote Application Deadline - Friday, January 20, 2017
Entertainment Application Deadline - Friday, January 20, 2017
Youth Talent Showcase Application Deadline - Friday, March 3, 2017
- Dress Rehearsal and performance Wednesday, March 22
Honour an Indigenous Youth Champion in your Community Application Deadline - Friday, March 3, 2017
- Youth honoured Friday, March 24